ADSM-L

Re: Reclaiming LTO Tapes

2002-07-05 09:32:32
Subject: Re: Reclaiming LTO Tapes
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:30:30 -0400
Instead of making the directory pool a FILE devclass, we have ours designed
in a hierarchy.

DIRCACHE        DISK devclass and relatively small. Just enough for a nights'
backups. NextPool is DIRPOOL wich is a FILE devclass. During the daily
server storage pool backkups we:

BA STG DIRCACHE VAULT-DIR
BA STG DIRPOOL VAULT-DIR
UPD STG DIRCACHE HI=0 LO=0

This way we get the backup speed of DISK without having to worry about the
MOUNTLIMIT being set high enough on the FILE devclass so a backup session
won't be denied. The DISK is then migrated to FILE after being backed up so
for reclamation the primary location is a SEQuential device.

We also send the directory information to its own offsite copypool for speed
of recovery. After the server is restored, we restore the DIRPOOL storage
pool.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.