ADSM-L

Re: Changing Storage Pools/Management Classes

2002-07-02 15:20:10
Subject: Re: Changing Storage Pools/Management Classes
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:18:00 -0500
Thanks, Wanda.  I think you answered my question.  I just want to make sure
there are no issues.  So, to clarify...
I have had management classes setup to handle these files for a long time,
and they are pointing to either a diskpool or a tapepool.  I want all of
the files in these management classes to eventually be stored in a
different disk and tape pool.  It sounds like the best way to do this is
(very simply) to just change the copy-to destination of the existing
management classes for these files to point to the new storage pools.  I
will still maintain the original storage pools for other management classes
still in use.
I just wasn't sure of any negative aspects of this change.  Do you see any
gotchas? anything in particular of which I should be aware?

Thanks again,
Todd

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          "Prather, Wanda"|
|        |          <Wanda.Prather@J|
|        |          HUAPL.EDU>      |
|        |          Sent by: "ADSM: |
|        |          Dist Stor       |
|        |          Manager"        |
|        |          <[email protected]|
|        |          T.EDU>          |
|        |                          |
|        |                          |
|        |          07/02/02 11:50  |
|        |          AM              |
|        |          Please respond  |
|        |          to "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"   |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                              |
  |      cc:
                                       |
  |      Subject:     Re: Changing Storage Pools/Management Classes
                                       |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If you want some files in a different tape storage pool, you will need a
new
management class for them.
If you are backing up direct to tape, just point the new management class
the new tape storage pool.  Use INCLUDE statements in dsm.opt to bind just
the files you want to the new management class.

If you are backing up to disk first, you will need to create a new disk
pool
for these files as well as a separate tape pool.  (You can't have one
primary disk pool that migrates to two different tape pools.) Make the new
management class point to the new disk pool and have the disk pool point to
the new tape pool.

When you backup files to the new management class, the NEW backup versions
will go to the new pool(s).

Nothing happens to older/existing backup versions of those files.  They
stay
on whatever media they were on originally.    Nothing triggers them to move
or relocate.  They aren't hurt, you can still restore from them if you need
to.  The best thing to do is just leave them where they sit, and let them
expire when they normally would.