ADSM-L

Re: DBBACKUPTRIGGER and Automated Full DB Backup

2002-06-28 15:16:21
Subject: Re: DBBACKUPTRIGGER and Automated Full DB Backup
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:28:14 -0500
1)  Answer is YES, but not when an incremental backups  are initiated by
administrative schedule.
It has to be triggered automatically.   I believe Admin schedule of
incremental database backup does not count toward 14 incremental backup set
in q dbb.

This is what should happen when you set  DBB trigger.
If the log reaches 60%
it will do an incremental database backup.
If the log reaches 60% again
it will do another incremental
this process is repeated until it does this 14 times.
Then when the log reaches 60% now it will do a full database backup.

Looks like what's happening is your dbb tigger never kicks in because you
are always doing  scheduled an incremental database backup each day.

Sung Y. Lee
Enterprise Storage Services
Delivery Center - South, IBM Global Services
Office  (512) 823-1012 T/L:  793-1012
Fax      (512) 823-1037
Pager ( 800) 759-8888 PIN:  1087116
E-mail sunglee AT us.ibm DOT com

                      Robin Lowe
                      <robin_lowe@STANDA        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      RDLIFE.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:           Subject:  DBBACKUPTRIGGER and
Automated Full DB Backup
                      Dist Stor Manager"
                      <[email protected].

                      06/26/2002 05:00
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding DBBACKUPTRIGGER.
First I will set the scene. We have ADMIN SCHEDULES defined to execute a
FULL DB BACKUP weekly, and on a DAILY basis we take two INCREMENTAL DB
BACKUPS, again using ADMIN SCHEDULES.
Our DBBACKUPTRIGGER is defined as follows :

             Full Device Class: 3590_CLASS
      Incremental Device Class: 3590_CLASS
           Log Full Percentage: 60
    Incrementals Between Fulls: 14
Last Update by (administrator): SL073E
         Last Update Date/Time: 04/04/02 11:04:27

Now the question.
If more than 14 Incremental Backups are taken after a FULL DB BACKUP,
should the 15th Incremental not automatically trigger a FULL DB BACKUP ?

We had some problems at the time a FULL DB BACKUP was scheduled on two
consecutive weekend's and ended up with an incremental count of 26.
I could not understand why a FULL DB Backup had not been triggered.

Or have I misunderstood DBBACKUPTRIGGER ?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst

For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and regulated by the
 Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 - calls may be recorded
or monitored. This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If
received in error, do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent and
please return it to us. We virus scan and monitor all e-mails but are not
responsible for any damage caused by a virus or alteration by a third party
after it is sent.