ADSM-L

Configuration management.

2002-06-27 23:48:32
Subject: Configuration management.
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:46:57 +1000
Hi List,

My management has asked me to back up all production servers once a month - I
know, I fought the battle and lost -, so I'm going to run an archive monthly on
all of these nodes.

Now, I am starting to get a lot of nodes with varying requirements
e.g. domain in /opt, different httpport, different methods of getting the logs
back to the server and so on.  These new archives are going to have to specify
explicity the filesystems that I want to archive. They'll also have to be
spread evenly across the first four weekends of the month. Even specifying
which is a production and which is a test node is difficult.

I'm getting to the point where I need to automate the generation  of at least
dsm.sys, dsm.opt and these archive schedules.
I've considered m4 macros, but that may be a bit opaque.  The other simple
option is a text file (csv?) and a perl script or two to do this stuff.

I'd also like to check my specifications against reality so that if the admins
add another filesystem, for example, I'm alerted to that fact.

Can you please share how you do this at your site?

Many thanks.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.