ADSM-L

Re: Performance of TSM 4.1.4 with Solaris

2002-06-27 11:47:28
Subject: Re: Performance of TSM 4.1.4 with Solaris
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:45:25 +0000
Hot Diggety! Charles Anderson was rumored to have written:
> 500% increase?!  We are using UFS right now and not RAW.  I have been a
> little hesitant to migrate to RAW though.  Any suggestions for keeping
> it "as painless as possible" ?  What did you do, just set your migration
> threshold to 0, backup the log, backup the db, repartion the disks,
> restore above from the backups?  What did you do about getting the data
> back onto the disks?

I believe Veritas has a product that allows you to continue to use ufs
filesystems, but has a special driver that completely bypasses the
double-buffering, which gives you the same performance as raw logical
volumes, but with all the integrity protections of ufs.

May be worth investigating if you'd like the best of both worlds.

-Dan Foster
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
Global Crossing Telecommunications