ADSM-L

TSM/AIX server abnormal behavior

2002-06-26 11:41:57
Subject: TSM/AIX server abnormal behavior
From: Mubashir Farooqi <Mfarooqi AT WORLDBANK DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:23:11 -0400
Hello everyone,

I have a TSM/AIX server at v4224 level. Server has 5 GB of memory. TSM server's
log disk size is 10 GB. Two days back I changed the bufpoolsize from 1 GB to 1.5
GB, and logpool size from 2048 to 4096 and recycled the TSM server. Since then I
have lost sleep. TSM server is behaving abnormally. I have three problems
confronting me:
1- after the TSM server recycle when I do 'q filespace' on some NT/W2K nodes, I
get '...' in place of filespace name.
2- TSM server is starting migration process for storage pool 'backupdisk' by
dozens of processes eventhough migpr is set to 3. These processes then start to
fail with sufficient memory not available messages.
3- For past 24 hours, TSM server is full of ANR9999D messages such as
pkthread.c(665) thread creation failed rc=11, pkthread.c(666) current thread
count is 131, pkthread.c(916) attempted to detach thread 98 but was not allowed,
sstrans.c(5715) error starting auxilliary data transfer thread, and so on.
This is a fairly large TSM server. We backup close to 800 GB of incremental data
in a 24 hours period. User dumps the data on to disk storage and when migration
threshold are met destagging starts. Server is connected to a 3494 library and
has 6 3590E drives attached to it. TSM database size is 98 GB with 89% percent
occupancy. I have opened a pmr with IBM and waiting for a call back from
level-2. I had to upgrade to v4224 on support center's advice when tape
reclamation processes were looping with another ANR9999D pkthread messages and
not freeing up the tapes. Any guidence or suggestions?
Thanks,

Mubashir Farooqi
World Bank, HQ
Washington, DC