ADSM-L

DBBACKUPTRIGGER and Automated Full DB Backup

2002-06-26 06:08:49
Subject: DBBACKUPTRIGGER and Automated Full DB Backup
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:00:40 +0100
Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding DBBACKUPTRIGGER.
First I will set the scene. We have ADMIN SCHEDULES defined to execute a
FULL DB BACKUP weekly, and on a DAILY basis we take two INCREMENTAL DB
BACKUPS, again using ADMIN SCHEDULES.
Our DBBACKUPTRIGGER is defined as follows :

             Full Device Class: 3590_CLASS
      Incremental Device Class: 3590_CLASS
           Log Full Percentage: 60
    Incrementals Between Fulls: 14
Last Update by (administrator): SL073E
         Last Update Date/Time: 04/04/02 11:04:27

Now the question.
If more than 14 Incremental Backups are taken after a FULL DB BACKUP, should
the 15th Incremental not automatically trigger a FULL DB BACKUP ?

We had some problems at the time a FULL DB BACKUP was scheduled on two
consecutive weekend's and ended up with an incremental count of 26.
I could not understand why a FULL DB Backup had not been triggered.

Or have I misunderstood DBBACKUPTRIGGER ?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst

For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and regulated by the
 Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 - calls may be recorded or
monitored. This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If
received in error, do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent and
please return it to us. We virus scan and monitor all e-mails but are not
responsible for any damage caused by a virus or alteration by a third party
after it is sent.