ADSM-L

Device locking danger.

2002-06-25 00:53:08
Subject: Device locking danger.
From: Michael Benjamin <MBenjamin AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:51:14 +0800
Please note, this may be common knowledge to some of you but I thought I'd
mention it again.

TSM Server can have problems if you are accessing a device like /dev/rmtX or
a SCSI media changer
/dev/smc0 with tapeutil. You will see in the actlog the server is unable to
access the device as you
have already initiated an exclusive lock on the device.

Therefore, if you are going to do tapeutil procedures or anything else that
accesses/queries the devices,
do so when the server is inactive, and DO check it's health afterward and
the actlog for error messages.

We've seen this occur ourselves a couple of times now on TSM 4.2.2.0

Comments?

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
                                                disclose or use the information
contained in it. If you have
        received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
        return email and delete the document.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.