ADSM-L

Re: TSM server problem

2002-06-21 04:27:01
Subject: Re: TSM server problem
From: Alexander Verkooyen <alex AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:10:12 +0200
Yes, we also expected to see I/O errors, but there were no
errors on the drives or the tapes.
The last process that mounted the tapes was a
backup stg.

Alexander

(The original message was written by me, but sent by Henk
due to a problem with my subscription to this list yesterday)

> Are you seeing any I/O errors on these tapes or errors on
> the drives?  What type of process was mounting the tapes -
> backup stg, reclamation etc.?
>
> David Longo

> I couldn't find an APAR that describes what we have been seeing
> on our 4.2.1.11 (AIX 4.3.3) server during the last few weeks
> so I was wondering if we have discovered new bug.
>
> First we got this message in the activity log:
>
> 06/09/02   10:39:38  ANR1229W Volume 000591 cannot be backed up - volume is
>                       offline or access mode is "unavailable" or "destroyed".
>
> We did a 'q vol f=d'. The access mode of the volume was 'Available'
> so we dismissed it as a freak incident until the message repeated
> itself the next day.
>
> This time we opened the (3494) library and verified that the
> volume was in the correct cell.
>
> We tried a 'restore volume' followed by a 'delete volume'.
> The delete failed:
>
> ANR2405E DELETE VOLUME: Volume 000591 is currently in use by
> clients and/or data management operations.
> ANS8001I Return code 14.
>
> At that time there were no processes or sessions that used
> that particular volume. Also we had four other volumes
> that displayed the same behaviour.
> We halted the server and restarted it again which solved
> the problem. The volumes were no longer 'in use'.
> Today we noticed two other volumes that seem to have
> the same problem so I'm beginning to suspect that I've found
> a bug in the server.
>
> All these volumes have one thing in common: When I seacrh
> the activity log for their mounts and dismounts I can't
> find a dismount message after their last mount (before they
> become 'unavailable'). It is as if the volumes are unmounted
> by the library but TSM isn't being notified of this.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Cheers,
> Henk.
>

> "MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
>  annotations on 06/20/2002 01:12:23 PM
> This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confid> This
> message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
> proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
> privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
> message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
> system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
> directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
> this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
> the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
> views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
> individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views or opinions
> are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
> the entity to give such views or opinions.
>
> ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Alexander Verkooijen        (alexander AT sara DOT nl)
Alexander Verkooijen        (alexander AT sara DOT nl)
Senior Systems Programmer
SARA High Performance Computing