ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions

2002-06-14 14:59:35
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:56:07 +0300
All other questions were answered so I would grab only #5 :) and add one
more
5. Firmwares on IBM SSG site are separated for AIX and Windows. Simply
download AIX package, follow the readme and no need to introduce Windoze.

#8: plan carefully your stgpool chain(s).
You may consider some nodes to go to non-collocated pools while others to
use collocated or even filespace-collocated. MOVE NODEDATA is implemented
in v5.1 and is not available in v4.2.x. Thus you can easily merge pools
but cannot separate some node(s) to another pool.

--> If you will be backing up a file larger than the stgpool it may be more
efficient to send it right to tape, this is the general rule.
efficient to send it right to tape, this is the general rule.

Actually if a file is larger than the *available space* in the stgpool it
goes direct to next pool. If next one also does not have enough available
space the file goes down the chain again. And if the file is bigger than
the pool you never will find enough available space :-)
Look at Wanda's explanation for maxsize parameter. If a big file hits your
disk pool, fills it near to the top and later smaller file does not find
enough space it would go to the next pool instead of big one.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant