ADSM-L

Re: Slow Reclamation - And a need for speed...

2002-06-13 09:39:10
Subject: Re: Slow Reclamation - And a need for speed...
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:37:01 -0500
Also make sure that:
1. you are NOT using 'collocation' on your COPYPOOL.
2. check the  'Delay Period for Volume Reuse'
3. run expire inventory
4. Define two admin schedules to control reclamation. One to start, one to
stop. But set the 'stop' to 99%. I'd set the 'start' to at least 75% - ie. 4 to
1.

ex:
tsm: UNXR>q stg offsite f=d

               Storage Pool Name: OFFSITE
               Storage Pool Type: Copy
               Device Class Name: 3580
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 92 287 026.6
                        Pct Util: 2.8
                        Pct Migr:
                     Pct Logical: 98.5
                    High Mig Pct:
                     Low Mig Pct:
                 Migration Delay:
              Migration Continue:
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold:
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                       Collocate: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 99
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 500
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 1 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?:
            Amount Migrated (MB):
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds):
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
           Last Update Date/Time: 06/12/02   14:00:23
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native

tsm: UNXR>q sched EXPIRE_INVENTORY t=a f=d

                 Schedule Name: EXPIRE_INVENTORY
retention period
                       Command: expire inventory du=100
               Start Date/Time: 03/06/02   10:15:00
                      Duration: 5 Minute(s)
                        Period: 1 Day(s)
                   Day of Week: Weekday
                    Expiration:
                       Active?: Yes
Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
         Last Update Date/Time: 03/08/02   11:06:43
              Managing profile:

tsm: UNXR>q sched START_RECLAIM_OFFSITE t=a f=d

                 Schedule Name: START_RECLAIM_OFFSITE
created
                       Command: upd stg offsite reclaim=89
               Start Date/Time: 03/06/02   12:00:00
                      Duration: 60 Minute(s)
                        Period: 1 Day(s)
                   Day of Week: Weekday
                    Expiration:
                       Active?: Yes
Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
         Last Update Date/Time: 06/10/02   11:53:34
              Managing profile:

tsm: UNXR>q sched RESET_RECLAIM_OFFSITE t=a f=d

                 Schedule Name: RESET_RECLAIM_OFFSITE
                       Command: upd stg offsite reclaim=99
               Start Date/Time: 01/04/00   14:00:00
                      Duration: 5 Minute(s)
                        Period: 1 Day(s)
                   Day of Week: Weekday
                    Expiration:
                       Active?: Yes
Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/19/02   14:25:50
              Managing profile:

Miles

-------------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
----------------------
>>> Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM 06/11/02 03:33PM >>>
>>> Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM 06/11/02 03:33PM >>>
TSM 4.1.3 on NT 4, 2 LTO drives in IBM 18 tape library.  Single SCSI chain.

We run reclamation what seems like all day every day, but tapes don't
seem to free up in a timely manner.  And our offsite tapes are 'growing'.
We have been using TSM for about a year with 60 day retention, and have
only added two (small) clients in the last 2 months.

The pool for onsite TAPEPOOL (that stays in the library) and COPYPOOL
that goes off site.  The number of tapes in the COPYPOOL (offsite) seem to
be
growing greater than what would seem reasonable given the size of the
TAPEPOOL.

Lately I have stopped reclamation and done a 'move data' of some of the
lowest use volumes that are offsite, and now they are marked 'pending'.

Our current schedule is:
  Weekdays 1300 till 2000 - update stgpool COPYPOOL rec=20
  Weekdays 0900 till 1300 - update stgpool TAPEPOOL rec=10
  Saturday 0800 till 2000 - update stgpool TAPEPOOL rec=10
  Sunday 0800 till 2200 - update stgpool COPYPOOL rec=20

Would it be a good idea to up the recovery percent?

Should I possibly do copypool on MWF from 0900-2000 then
tapedata on TTh instead of some on each day?

Suggestions?

TIA .. JC

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 06/11/02 16:27:04
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidentiThis
message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.