ADSM-L

Re: 3590 pricing (used)

2002-06-12 21:16:35
Subject: Re: 3590 pricing (used)
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:14:42 -0400
=> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:06:10 -0400, Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH
DOT COM> said:

> Has anyone purchased used 3590 equipment recently and would be willing to
> share a reasonable ballpark dollar amount?  We are running out of room in
> our 3494 and would like to start converting our S/390 over from 3490 to
> 3590.  What would be a good price for an A60 controller and four 3590E1A or
> B1a (escon) drives?

> Alternately, if I sacrificed my 4) 3590E1A drives from TSM to the Mainframe
> and bought a separate library for TSM, what would it take to replace what I
> have (277-J, 218-K of which 119-K are offsite)?

Whatever you do, don't bother buying a new 3494.  Just expand what you've got.
If you think about it, there's no way you can possibly save cash that way.

If you're willing to take the hit in seek time, then you could go for a dumber
library: a 3584 with LTO drives will most definitely be fewer dollars per TB,
fewer square feet of floor per TB, etc.  and the LTO physical standard has
absolutely tremendous upgrade paths.

But if you're sticking with the 3590s for a bit longer (which was our call)
then just toss the new drives in the existing 3494.

The used market is pretty good.  Lots of folks who don't need the access speed
are going LTO, so some 3590s are hitting the market.  It'll be wierd when my
3494 is my "low-latency, low-capacity" storage format. :)

Allen S. Rout