ADSM-L

ADSM 3.1 to 4.2.1 Migration

2002-06-12 17:21:56
Subject: ADSM 3.1 to 4.2.1 Migration
From: "Marc D. Taylor" <mdtaylor AT UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:19:41 -0500
Hello Again,

Since we are getting a new library we are also getting new server hardware
and going to TSM 4.2.1 (5 will be later).  Therefore, we have a 2 way
upgrade (old software to new software, old server to new server).

I gave TSM support a call and asked what their recommended procedure was
and I found out that they really don't have any, but the tech support guy
who responded gave me a procedure that he says has worked for others.

In our case, we need to upgrade the OS on the old server (still at 4.2.1)
to 4.3.3. Do an update install of TSM on top of what we have now.  Export
the database after it has been transformed by the update/install to tape.

Take the export tape and import it into the new server (along with the old
tape libraries).  Then migrate the data from the old library to the new
library.

Is this what others have done?  I have seen snippets of other things being
done,  but usually it appears that server hardware remained the same.

TIA for all of your comments.

Marc

Marc D. Taylor
Research Programmer
Beckman Institute Systems Services
Room 1714
Office:  217-244-7373, Fax:  217-333-8206
mdtaylor AT uiuc DOT edu
http://biss.beckman.uiuc.edu