ADSM-L

The old SCRATCH TAPE NOT FOUND message

2002-06-05 11:17:52
Subject: The old SCRATCH TAPE NOT FOUND message
From: Rob Jones <RJones AT DOTLOGIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:01:05 -0500
Hello all,

This is my first time posting a question so please don't confuse my newbie
frustration with my dire
hopelessness.  We ran Tivoli 3.7 Server on AIX before I came to this
office.  It was working fine till
"the crash and burn".  The log files filled up and TSM stopped and couldn't
be started.  Since 3.7 was
NOT supported by IBM anymore we upgraded to 4.1 and did a "on-phone"
upgrade with a Tivoli Support
Representative for 2 weeks.  It seemed to work fine till it started the
"cannot backup the Database" messages
in the log files because it couldn't mount the scratch tape it had put the
daily DB backup on for the 1 week after
the new install.  I did a total new install again of 4.1 and got it working
again for the last week.  The daily DB backup
was working fine again till 3 days ago when the same messages came up
again.  I know it is about to crash and burn
again any day now due to this.

The server is an IBM RS/6000 H70 running AIX, which is working fine, plus
an IBM LTO Ultrium 3580 tape drive and 3583 Tape Library
supporting 36 LTO tapes.  It is backing up clients fine now and is using
tapes perfectly for pool migration. Below is some info:

Storage       Device        Estimated     Pct     Pct   High   Low   Next

Pool Name     Class Name     Capacity    Util    Migr    Mig   Mig
Storage
                                 (MB)                    Pct   Pct   Pool

-----------   ----------   ----------   -----   -----   ----   ---
-----------
-----------
ARCHIVEPOOL   DISK            4,000.0     0.0     0.0     90    70
ARCHIVEPOOL   DISK            4,000.0     0.0     0.0     90    70

BACKUPPOOL    DISK           72,000.0    42.8    42.8     70    50   TAPE

SPACEMGPOOL   DISK            4,000.0     0.0     0.0     90    70

TAPE          ULTRIUM1     3,601,156.    14.7    36.1     80    60

When the backuppool reaches 70%, it migrates to the TAPE pool perfectly.
It is the DB BACKUP that is killing me.
Here is my DAILY BACKUP COMMAND that is issued everyday at 7:00 am.

BACKUP DB dev=Ultrium1 type=INCREMENTAL scratch=YES wait=NO

Like is said...this worked fine for like 3-4 days, but now I get this
message like every hour for the DB.

06/05/02 09:22:44     ANR2121W ATTENTION: More than 306.012 MB of the
database
                       has changed and the last database backup was more
than 24
                       hours ago. Use the BACKUP DB command to provide for

                       database recovery.

And when I try the DB BACKUP command now I get these messages in log:

ANR0984I Process 112 for DATABASE BACKUP started in the
                       BACKGROUND at 09:54:21.

06/05/02 09:54:21     ANR2281I Incremental database backup started as
process
                       112.

06/05/02 09:54:21     ANR0609I BACKUP DB started as process 112.

06/05/02 09:54:23     ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no
scratch
                       volume available.

06/05/02 09:54:24     ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated -
required
                       volume was not mounted.

06/05/02 09:54:24     ANR0985I Process 112 for DATABASE BACKUP running in
the
                       BACKGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE
at
                       09:54:24.

It seems like it can't find the original tape that it did the DB BACKUP on
the first few days.
I know which tape it did this on but I can't get it to go get it and mount
it again. When my
DB fills up, my TSM will crash again and won't let me start it up again on
server using dsmserv.

Anyone have any help or thoughts?

Rob L. Jones
Operations
dotLogix, Inc. - Smarter, Faster Business
901-260-7137