ADSM-L

Re: Dump file backup for MS SQL server

2002-06-04 21:44:31
Subject: Re: Dump file backup for MS SQL server
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:45:54 -0400
> I'm trying to back up only 4 dump files from MS SQL server through TSM
> 3.7. When the client scheduler started, there was an error message
> 'protocol violation...' I checked TCP/IP setting and it looked OK.
>
> My question: Did this happen because I didn't install TDP for MS SQL? We
> thought there wouldn't be a problem to back up only a few dump files
> generated by SQL server. Should I install TDP on SQL sever in order to
> back up ANY files from that server?

Jin Bae,

TDP for SQL is used to take online database backups and send them
directly to the TSM server.

When you say "dump files", I am assuming you used some TSQL command
or SQL Enterprise Manager backup tool to dump the databases
to a local file. Then you are using the TSM BA client to back up
the local file that you dumped the SQL Server database to.
Is that correct?
If you do it this way, you do not need TDP for SQL but you loose
all of the management and function that TDP for SQL provides.
In addition, if you do it this way, you also need additional
local disk space to hold the dump files prior to backup.

If you are getting a "protocol" error running the scheduler or
the BA client, that should be unrelated to this.
You could call support, although, TSM version 3.7 is very old
and out of service.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Leave everything a little better than you found it.
Smile a lot: it costs nothing and is beyond price.