ADSM-L

Re: Moving data to a new storage pool, but still having volumes in old copy pool ...

2002-06-04 15:05:32
Subject: Re: Moving data to a new storage pool, but still having volumes in old copy pool ...
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:03:27 +0300
Arnaud,

Yes, you have doubled your copypool copies. And yes, you know the answer -
you can delete safely volumes from "old" copy pool if it was used to
backup ONLY primaryA pool. WARNING: if you have backed up more than one
primary pool chain (!) to same copy pool and only one chain is backed to
another copy pool you *cannot* safely delete volumes from copyA unless all
pool chains have backups to other copy pools!
What you have done is equivalent to "backup stg stgpoolA copypoolB". You
forgot that TSM does NOT treat backups, images, volumes, etc. It works
with (business) objects - be it file from BA, HSM client or whatever
application uses through API client.
An example - many of us use backup of the disk pool to copypool, migration
to tape and backup of primary tape pool. If it worked as you expected from
your pools it would do: backup from disk to copy pool, migration which
should delete just created backups from the copypool and re-creation of
backups but this time from tape pool to same copy pool ?!? Not so good
from both our point of view and ADSM/TSM developers'.
Bottom line: "backup stg primaryA copyB" means "create copy in pool copyB
for all objects found in pool primaryA which do not have copies in copyB
or their copies are older", i.e. incremental. Same if you backup a server
with two TSM client instances under different node names and expecting
expiration of file under one instance to initiate expiration under second
node name without full incremental performed in second instance.
TSM is very consistent in its ideology.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant