ADSM-L

Re: unwanted restores

2002-05-29 20:41:31
Subject: Re: unwanted restores
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:39:31 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Burak Demircan
> My copy pool operation continues during the day and if a server
> administrator
> starts the restore without informing me, the backup stg operation
> stops. How
> can I
> get an environment that all backup schedules are not affected but
> all restore
> operation
> are permitted by me?

That's a toughie. There is a hierarchy of TSM operations that is (as far as
I know) not changeable:

Top priority: client restores
Least priority: client backups

Between these two are the entire range of administrative activities such as
reclamation, expiration, storage pool backups, db backups, etc. If a client
restore calls for a tape, or if there are no tape drives available when a
client restore requires one, the operations that are using resources
required for that restore will be halted (and the resources freed up) to
facilitate the restore. (And, thank you very much, the preempted operation
is *not* automatically restarted unless that operation was triggered by a
change in parameters, such as storage pool reclaim levels, etc.)

The best you could do is to disable client sessions during a period of time
in which you do your administrative stuff.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE