ADSM-L

Sub-File Backup - Number of Delta File Backups

2002-05-28 11:19:32
Subject: Sub-File Backup - Number of Delta File Backups
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:17:45 -0500
The IBM Redbook - TSM 3.7.3 & 4.1 Technical guide - states "delta file
backup can occur up to 20 times before a new base file backup occurs again."

Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

I'm running 4.2.1.20 client on W2K, 4.2.0.0 Server on W2K.

I've setup a separate schedule to backup my outlook pst file using sub-file
backup. I'm tracking the amount of data sent every day.  I'm up to what
appears to be delta version 26.  Each delta version gets a little bigger (My
PST is 200 MB, first subfile was 7 MB, I'm now at 40 MB).  The base file in
my client cache directory has a modified date of April 24, 2002 - the first
day I started this.

My PST file was backed up 4 times outside of this special schedule so I
cannot confirm how much data was sent those 4 times (Outlook was left open,
PST was modified and backed up as part of regular schedule).  But if a new
base file backup had occurred then I'm assuming the modified date of the
base file in my client cache directory should have changed.  Also the delta
files after a new base backup should have reverted back to a smaller amount
of changed data - all of mine show a minor growth each day.

On another note, is there anyway to determine the space savings using
subfile backup?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg