ADSM-L

Re: Problems after unloaddb/loaddb

2002-05-23 12:02:59
Subject: Re: Problems after unloaddb/loaddb
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:01:10 -0500
We also ran into both of these issues:

1. Also dsmaccnt.log and dsmserv.dsk - we just placed all files in the
server directory.  Not sure how to get TSM to look in server1!

2. I think this is APAR IC30429 - see below.  We ran into this also.  Delete
volhist will delete any new DB backups after the unload/reload.  We are just
waiting until we have the maitenance on and then will delete the old DB
backups.  (Just wasting a few tapes until then!)

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg

-----------------------
APAR= IC30429  SER=                            IN INCORROUT
APAR= IC30429  SER=                            IN INCORROUT
AFTER UNLOADDB DB BACKUPS CANNOT BE DELETED FROM THE VOLHISTORY

Apar Information:

RCOMP= 5697TSMAX    TSM AIX SERVER  RREL= R110
FCOMP= 5697TSMAX    TSM AIX SERVER  PFREL= F999  TREL= T
SRLS:      NONE

Return Codes:

Applicable Component Level/SU:
R110 PSY         UP

Error Description:
After the UNLOADDB/LOADDB procedure the volume history is not
updated properly (see also APAR IC29502) and a new DB backup
starts with a backup series number of 1 already lower than older
DB backups before the UNLOADDB.
.
Q VOLH TYPE=DBB yields an output like:

 Date/Time          Type       Series   Seq
 12/11/00 13:36:55  BACKUPFULL  43       0
 12/11/00 14:12:16  BACKUPFULL  44       0
 04/20/01 13:10:39  BACKUPFULL  45       0
 04/23/01 08:54:09  BACKUPFULL  46       0
 04/23/01 09:36:55  BACKUPFULL   1       0
.
The obsolete database backups cannot be deleted from the volume
history because the DELETE VOLHISTORY command doesn't allow to
delete a database backup with a date or series number greater
than or equal to the latest backup.
After issuing DELETE VOLH TYPE=DBB TODATE=TODAY the output:
'ANR2467I DELETE VOLHISTORY: 0 sequential volume history
entries were successfully deleted' was displayed.
.
The impact depends of the number of obsolete database backup
volumes that cannot be reused.
.
The TSM server 4.1 as well as 3.7 is affected by this.

Local Fix:

none

Problem Summary:
* USERS AFFECTED: All users of TSM server who perform          *
*                 UNLOAD/LOAD of their database prior to       *
*                 installing the fix for IC29502.              *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: UNLOAD/LOAD may cause the database      *
*                      backup series to be reset (see          *
*                      IC29502).  Once reset, DELETE           *
*                      VOLHISTORY will not delete old database *

*                      backups with a series number greater    *
*                      than or equal to the current series     *
*                      number.                                 *
* RECOMMENDATION: Apply the fixing PTF when applicable.        *
TSM server may not allow deletion of old database backup
volumes.

Temporary Fix:

Comments:
MODULES/MACROS:   NONE

Problem Conclusion:
TSM server is modified to allow the deletion of database backup
volumes even if the date is equal to or later than the current
database backup or the series is equal to or greater than the
current database backup.  This fuction is enabled only when
FORCE=YES is specified on the DELETE VOLHISTORY command.  Note
that this function will allow the user to delete the latest
database backup.  Care should be taken to avoid deleting
database backups that are still needed.  Also, the user may
wish to perform a new full database backup after using this
function to ensure that a valid database backup exists.