ADSM-L

Re: W2K Active Directory backup and edb000*.log files accumulating

2002-05-20 12:54:18
Subject: Re: W2K Active Directory backup and edb000*.log files accumulating
From: Jim Smith <smithjp AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:52:31 -0700
Alex,

This is being addressed in APAR IC33389 - TSM ACTIVE DIRECTORY BACKUP NOT
TRUNCATING LOGS

Thanks

J.P. (Jim) Smith
TSM Development

I'm backing up a W2K Domain Controller with the 4.2.1.30 client to a
4.2.1.15 server. This includes the "domain systemobject", i.e. Active
Directory. Recently I found a huge bunch of old transaction log files in
the NTDS directory: edb00001.log to edb0003e.log 10MB each. Each one was
created when TSM backed up ADS. After 60 daily backups, I got of 600MB
of these.

When I run ntbackup.exe to make a systemstate backup these log files get
erased, only the last one remained. But when I make the backup with TSM,
the log files stay and accumulate.
I cannot believe that this behaviour of TSM works as designed, because I
would have to delete the older logfiles manually after some time or use
a postschedulecmd to delete edb0*.log, which I would consider not a
clean solution. I have not found a dsm.opt option to change the client's
behaviour, and I have tried two other clients (4.2.1.20 and .32) which
had similar behaviour.

Does anybody know what's up with that issue? I assume everybody who is
backing up Active Directory via the "domain systemobject" on a Domain
Controller has this problem. But with today's gigabytes of disk space
you may have not taken notice of that yet.

Tschau
Alex