ADSM-L

Best value for disk pool

2002-05-16 11:17:17
Subject: Best value for disk pool
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:17:10 -0400
We have a 3466 C00 (AIX 4.3.3  TSM 4.1.0) using approx. 144gb of SSA disk for
our db, logs, and several disk pools.  We have reached a point of needing to
add more disk for the db and pools, but because of budget cuts, the $$ for
additional SSA disks is not looking good.  It is time for us to consider using
other types of direct attached disk for this system.  Currently, we are not
raid-ing the disk pool at all, and using tsm mirroring for the db.  Can I get
some feedback from those with experience using other vendor's disk systems on
an AIX box.  Cost, reliability, speed are of course the important metrics.  I
do understand that hooking up non-SSA disk probably means decoupling the 3466
and turning it into a standalone rs6k box.  Anyone with tips on that path would
also be appreciated.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer
Haworth, Inc
Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large