ADSM-L

Re: Antw: Re: TDP 4 Exchange,relationship between Full andIncremental Bac kup

2002-05-16 08:19:10
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: TDP 4 Exchange,relationship between Full andIncremental Bac kup
From: Wolfgang Herkenrath <w.herkenrath AT LVR DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:17:55 +0100
Del, Seay,

thanks for help. I had read the chapters at the TDP book before I asked the
group and know I even understand it.
Know I can ask my next question ;-)

Wolfgang

>>> Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM> 15.05.02 12:47:41 >>>
> My question point to this:
> To restore exchange I need one fullbackup or one fullbackup and a set of
> incrementals or one differential backup.
> However, I need one fullbackup. How can I or TDP secure that there is
> a correct set of full and incremental backups to restore from an
incremental backup?

Wolfgang,

You are correct, to restore an Exchange server you need,
ONE of the following:
   1 Full backup (already has the logs it needs to recover)
      or
   1 Full backup + NN incremental backups
      or
   1 Full backup + 1 latest differential backup
This is covered in Chapter 1 of the TDP for Exchange book under
a section titled "TDP for Exchange Backup Strategy Considerations"

TDP for Exchange version 2.2 will always keep the latest
FULL backup until another FULL backup is completed succesfully.
It will NOT expire any INCREMENTAL or DIFFERENTIAL backups that
go with the latest FULL backup until the next FULL backup
is completed succesfully.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Leave everything a little better than you found it.
Smile a lot: it costs nothing and is beyond price.