ADSM-L

Re: How does Archiving and Backupsets work???

2002-05-15 17:37:27
Subject: Re: How does Archiving and Backupsets work???
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 00:11:16 +0300
You cannot mark primary stgpool volume as offsite. As per the
help/Reference Guide:
"3. This value is valid only for volumes in copy storage pools."
You cannot overcome the TSM design. Still can use MOVe MEDia
OVFLOcation='Your off-site vault'.
However think twice is this what you want good enough! You are talking
about archives, i.e. long-term storage. And what if tape ages and gets
unreadable or courier drop it and is broken?! That is the idea behind
primary and copy pools. And you can check out primary pools from the
library if are short on slots.
Backupsets are again providing you same non-duplicate (not secured)
scenario. Their main goal is quick restore not long-term archiving.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant