ADSM-L

Re: BMR TSM restore of W2K client

2002-05-15 16:04:05
Subject: Re: BMR TSM restore of W2K client
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:04:04 -0400
Our Dells have been coming in with 2 partitions, I think WinNT is installed
in partition 2.

TSM can't deal with the partition information; if it isn't stored in the
registry or in a file, TSM doesn't see it.
Which is why you must recreate any partitioning yourself, before you do the
restores.

One thing you can do to protect yourself:

AFTER you do your restore of the files and the system object, BEFORE you
reboot, just use NOTEPAD to LOOK at the C:\boot.ini file.  Make sure it
points to the partition where you reinstalled WINNT.

I also have seen the message before about  Windows File Protected files; we
also ignored it (I don't understand it - TSM is supposed to be restoring the
Windows File PRotected files, yes?) But it caused no problems here, either.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert