ADSM-L

Is file sequence maintained across migration from disk to tape ?

2002-05-13 18:47:31
Subject: Is file sequence maintained across migration from disk to tape ?
From: ADSM ADSMuser <smc_adsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:47:49 -0500
Hi TSMers,
We have a onsite data of more than 60TB on tapepools. We need access to this data all the time.

Currently we backup directly to tapepools without going to diskpool ->migration-> tapepool.

Reason is to keep similarly named files  like file.1,file.2,file.3 .... file.9 stored on tape sequentially so that during restores (which happens all the time), we can restore file.* and the tape head never has to seek backwards. (13MB/s restore speeds ...)

Anyways, I was pondering over the scenario where I backup to diskpool and them migrate to tapepool . Will the __sequence__ of files on tape be same as they were on disk before migration ?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Sumitro Chowdhury.

Join the world s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here