ADSM-L

Mirrored DELETE DBVOL, LOGVOL?

2002-05-09 16:10:26
Subject: Mirrored DELETE DBVOL, LOGVOL?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:10:45 -0500
Oh, I guess it's just my paranoid mind at work again, but DELETE DBVOL
scares me. I'm using it to migrate the TSM Database from old disks to
new, faster disks.

So, I attached the new dbvol and its mirror, fiddled with EXTEND DB and
REDUCE DB to make it right, and did DELETE DBVOL on the old mirror. Then
I did DELETE DBVOL on the old primary copy.

Oops! Now I'm really exposed! There is only one copy of the old database
volume, while this rather lengthly copying process proceeds.

Is there any way to do a DELETE DBVOL in a mirrored way - that is delete
all mirrored copies of a DBVOL at once, so that if a disk crashes in the
middle of it, I will not lose my Database? That's the whole point of
Database mirroring, isn't it?

I'm starting to think AIX JFS mirroring might have some advantages over
TSM Database/Log mirroring.