ADSM-L

Re: mksysb or sysback to library volume

2002-05-03 17:58:40
Subject: Re: mksysb or sysback to library volume
From: "Don France (TSMnews)" <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:00:07 -0700
Try using tapeutil (or some 3575 library tool, like mtlib on 3494) to mount
a tape in a given drive -- you must choose a scratch tape and ensure TSM is
not using the drive;  then, issue (1) make drive "offline" to TSM, (2) the
cmd to mount the tape, (3) the cmd to mksysb to that device, then (4) the
cmd to dismount the tape... then, manually remove the tape from the library
(else it's still in TSM's inventory and could get used unless you also mark
it "private".)

Since sys. admin. time is more expensive than operator time, we usually
specify the AIX box to have internal 4mm tape drive, so we script the mksysb
to that drive, daily;  operators rotate the tapes, report any visual
problems (if the script fails, the tape is not ejected), the script logs are
used for admin. verification.

Regards,
Don

Don France
Technical Architect - Tivoli Certified Consultant

Professional Association of Contract Employees (P.A.C.E.)
San Jose, CA
(408) 257-3037
don_france AT att DOT net