ADSM-L

Re: Netware - NDS - Restoring NDS in case of extreme loss

2002-05-03 13:44:05
Subject: Re: Netware - NDS - Restoring NDS in case of extreme loss
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:41:49 -0400
Jim,

Here is a couple of paragraphs from our Netware Admin.

I agree that the default should be to back up NDS.  I don't like the idea of
running it on every server--somebody may do backups across WAN links.
Making master of root the default is reasonable.

Could they implement a "restore" of single leaf objects to a temporary location?
Or provide the client with the ability to browse attributes within the backup?
Being able to query specific objects would be way kewl.

----------------
I would agree about default.  By default NT registry is backed up, I know
I would agree about default.  By default NT registry is backed up, I know
there's some slight of hand to do it and restore - but it works.

Just exclude NDS then from clients you don't want backing it up.
Better to have it backed up several times than not at all.

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> smithjp AT US.IBM DOT COM 05/02/02 04:52PM >>>
David,

You are correct - NDS not backed-up by default.  Question for you - should
it be?   Some options:

1.  backup NDS by default on every server that has a replica stored - this
would mean redundant backups and also, as you have pointed  out, walking
the NDS from all these machines will be a performance concern.  At least
you would have the NDS backed-up out of the box and could turn off (via
DOMAIN) this behavior where it wasn't wanted.
2.  backup NDS by default on server with master replica of root partition
( or some other intelligent way of choosing a candidate server).  Same as
above, maybe this is not the "best" choice in your environment, but it is
at least "a" choice and will mean that the NDS is backed-up by a machine
by default..  Once again, could change behaviors through DOMAIN option.

The scenario we are trying to avoid is having the NetWare admin discover
that the NDS is not backed-up by default when it is time for a disaster
recovery.  I am interested in any ideas you or any other user would have
about the TSM NetWare B-A client's default behavior when it comes to the
NDS.

Thanks,
Jim Smith
TSM development

Yes, you can backup the NDS, but it is not backed up by default!
Look in manual uder DOMAIN statement, you have to explicitly
specify it.

Then look at file Ntwback.htm loaded with yoyu Netware client
install under ...Tivoli/Tsm/Client     directory.
If you have objects spread out over several machines, then I would
do the NDS backup from the machien with least data/least busy.
The backup of NDS "walks" the tree and gets from all machines.

NOTE: License objects cannot be backed up!  There is expalnation
in documentation.

Haven't tried a restore yet.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> smaddux AT CO.SANMATEO.CA DOT US 05/02/02 03:19PM >>>
I've been asked by our NDS expert, if TSM backs up the netware hidden
directory.

Apparently it doesn't as I've watched TSM backup the NDS and it backups
the individual NDS objects.

Has anyone had to do a complete restore of a netware box, including NDS?

Did it work, what steps did you take as the backup/archive manual for
netware is lacking this kind of information

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
annotations on 05/02/02 16:16:14
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 05/03/02 13:58:47
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all