ADSM-L

Re: backup stgpool

2002-05-01 19:13:37
Subject: Re: backup stgpool
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:13:11 -0400
I have a similar environment, running about 18 hours a day or so.
It works.  Yes, you will have extra hits on disks etc.  May need to do
some adjusting of schedules or disks if becomes a problem.

I have TSM server 4.2.1.10 on AIX 4.3.3, also have old server 3.7.4.0
on AIX 4.3.3 (separate server - moving clients to new one).

I have a disk pool, an onsite tape pool (bkuptape) and an offsite
tape pool (copytape).  Each hour, I have a cron job (unix scheduler)
that checks if a backup stg from disk to copytape is running, if not
it starts one.  If nothing there or little it does it's thing and quits.
If it runs more than an hour of course a 2nd one doesn't start
another one next hour.

Then to catch anything that got migrated before the backup stg got
it, at about 10pm, 2am and 5:30 and I start a backup stg bkuptape
copytape.  (Yes it can run with the other backup stg).  Also at times
depending on your data load, you might start more than one of any
of these processes.

All this also depends on how many tape drives you have.

David Longo

>>> gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM 05/01/02 05:55PM >>>
Given an environment where you pretty much have constant backups occurring
to your TSM server 24x7 (say every 2 hours) and thus to your primary pools,
how does this affect copying the data to a copypool?

i.e. if my TSM server is currently accepting backups from one or more
clients and that data is initially going to my diskpool (migrated to tape as
the diskpool fills) - now suddenly I kick off a backup stgpool to a copypool
from that diskpool. With files continuously coming into the diskpool will
that be a problem for my copypool? I understand that perhaps I may miss some
of those incoming files and that's a potential issue but it doesn't concern
me so long as they're caught in my next backup stgpool command. I'm just
thinking out loud what potential problems if any there are with doing a
backup stgpool from a primary pool that is currently receiving files.
Offhand I can't think of any other then hitting the disks a little harder
and maybe not catching some of those incoming files.. also I suppose if your
offsite pool has collocation enabled there might be some interesting
mounting/dismounting happening.

Gerald Wichmann
Sr. Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.
925.598.3099 w
408.836.9062 c

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 05/01/02 19:27:46
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.