ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB Max Size (how scalable is TSM?)

2002-04-26 18:31:56
Subject: Re: TSM DB Max Size (how scalable is TSM?)
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:34:22 -0700
Good to know thanks. It seems like most of the postings I've read correlate
the problem with TSM's DB growing to how long it takes to backup and restore
the DB. Seems like this is directly proportional to the technology currently
available at the time. I.e. for some people, restoring 100GB DB might take
5-6 hours while in your case clearly it's acceptable. Probably highly
dependent on the performance of the tape drive you're doing your DB backup
to.

I wonder if that wasn't a factor (say my tape drive has unlimited
performance and can always restore in 10 minutes), what the next
consideration or "wall" would be in the DB growing so large? Performance
degradation for standard TSM commands that involve use of the DB? I.e. an
auditdb would be an extreme example but how about simply restoring a
directory structure for a given client. At what point would a large DB
affect that or other day to day processes such as inventory expiration?

Ah well just thinking out loud..

Gerald Wichmann
Sr. Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.