ADSM-L

Re: ANR0534W - size estimate exceeded

2002-04-26 10:45:59
Subject: Re: ANR0534W - size estimate exceeded
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:45:41 -0700
We have seen this behavior in an API client that we have written,
and we have verified that (a) COMPRESSION is set to NO and (b) we
are sending exactly the same number of bytes that we say we are
sending. We have determined that there is essentially a race
condition when there are multiple sessions writing to the disk
pool. If, at a given point in time, four clients contact the
server and announce the intention to write a 100MB, the server
checks at the beginning of each of the four sendObj() calls. If
there is 150MB of space available in the diskpool at the time
that each sendObj() call happens (API programmers forgive me if
I've gotten the calls slightly incorrect, I've not written the
API client, only assisted as the TSM admin), the server gives
each of the four clients the OK to send the data. Of course, they
will all likely fail, as they will fill up the 150MB availables
space before any *one* of the clients finishes.

This has been one of the frustrating aspects of the TSM BA client
not being written with the TSM API. Clearly the BA client does
not encounter this problem, yet there is no straightforward
method to solve the problem with the API. I believe that the TDP
products are all written with the API, so I am not surprised to
hear that they suffer from this problem, as well.

AFAIK, the best we have been able to get from support is the
admission that the error message is inaccurate, or at the very
least misleading.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks SKG