ADSM-L

Re: LTO and backupsets, slow restore

2002-04-24 13:59:49
Subject: Re: LTO and backupsets, slow restore
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:58:54 -0500
Radoslav,

I exported about 100 3570s to DLT, and then imported the DLTs into LTO
after first stop at disk pool.  Total was about 1/2 TB.

My experience was that imports came in at about 3 MB/s despite the DLT
being capable of about 10 MB/s, the LTO of about 12 MB/s, and the disks of
about 14 MB/s.

Activity on the DB disks was low, so it wasn't a DB I/O issue.  Not sure
why the import performance is so slow, but it seems endemic to TSM.

System:
TSM 4.1 (.4.1 at the time if  I recall correctly)  on AIX 4.3.3 ML 8 on
7025 F50 with 2 x 332 MHz and 1 GB RAM.
Import from HP 4/40 DLT 8000 to disk pool volume which migrated to IBM
3583-L72 LTO.
All libraries HV diff SCSI.

Maybe the TSM developers can shed some light.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

Radoslav Bendik <bendik AT NS.HTC DOT SK>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 04/24/2002 01:50:39