ADSM-L

Re: Single Drive Manual Library

2002-04-22 11:10:21
Subject: Re: Single Drive Manual Library
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:09:25 -0400
Kolbeinn,

Yes, I've done it...but I can't say that I recommend using the "backup"
functionality of TSM when operating in this manner.

Normally what I'd do for a small site with a single drive and no robotics
is stick just to archives.  Unfortunately, with a single drive, doing
reclamation is a serious nuisance.

You can, if you are really determined to run backups, do single drive
reclamations using a disk storage pool...but again, I don't recommend it.

I do have customers that are using single drives and just do archives, and
are getting along fine in that fashion.

My $.02

-Lloyd
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:51:16 +0000
Kolbeinn Josepsson <Kolbeinn.Josepsson AT NYHERJI DOT IS> wrote:

> Hi all there,
>
> Does anyone have experience using TSM with Single Drive Manual Library
for
> small sites? I think it is rather complicated to get those configuration
> work without problems, I have not found any recommendations or samples
in
> Red Books or Tivoli Manuals.
>
> If anyone have found out a good working configuration for Single Drive
> Manual Library installation, and like to share it with others, then
kindly
> reply with short description of how to do...
>
> Also any suggestions are welcome.
>

> Thanks and regards,
> Kolbeinn Josepsson
>
> NYHERJI HF.
> BORGARTUN 37
> IS-105 REYKJAVIK
> ICELAND

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267