ADSM-L

windows 2000 cluster backup performance?

2002-04-16 08:55:39
Subject: windows 2000 cluster backup performance?
From: chris rees <rees_chris AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:55:39 -0400
Hi all,

Here is an overview of our setup

TSM 4.1.5 server on IBM H80 running AIX 4.3.3
Windows 2000 cluster running active/active config, TSM client 4.2
Cluster is 2 compaq servers, 700MHZ + 512Mb memory.
Backups over 100Mb full duplex backup LAN

Everything appears to be working fine with backups, restores and failovers
within the cluster.  (remarkably easy to set up actually)

Our only problem is the speed of backup we are seeing.  We have managed to
get 12Gb an hour so far with "resourceutilisation" set to 10. Unfortunately
the cluster will eventually have 400Gb+ so any kind of archive and first
time incrementals will take days.
Our UNIX servers using same backup LAN get 20GB+ an hour to the same TSM
server.

What kind of backup performance have other people had with similar setups?
Is 12Gb an hour the norm for a win2k cluster?

Many Thanks

Chris
(A unix bod trying to cope with Windows)