ADSM-L

Re: New Tivoli licensing - what "processor" mean (RESOLVED)

2002-04-16 06:47:55
Subject: Re: New Tivoli licensing - what "processor" mean (RESOLVED)
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:16:34 +0300
Hello fellow *SMers,

even if I do not like the answer we've found it.
According to IBM EMEA Announcement Letter ZP02-0172
(http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/emealets&parms=H_ERIFZP020172), Section
"Ordering IBM Tivoli Products"
"One or more charge units are associated with each product. These charge
units are:
      Processors managed by the product
      Clients managed by the product
      Distributed servers managed by the product
      zSeries processors managed by the product
      Processors in which the managing server is installed"
Processors are based upon TSM server and TSM *nodes* processors if they
are servers in customer application environment. If it is a workstation
(appl. client) it requires "client" license and no "processors".
So if we have an (imaginary) ISM installation consisting of dual-processor
TSM server, cluster of two four-processor Oracle servers, uniprocessor
file server, uniprocessor MDC and 20 dual-processor Xeon/2GHz CAD
stations, we would need 12 "processor" and 20 "client" charge units for
IBM TSM (5698-ISM) or IBM TSM EE (5698-ISE) and (optional) eight
processors for IBM TSM for Databases (5698-APD).
Right now I cannot calculate all possible configurations nor predict any
averages or stats but for some configurations price would change slightly
while for some others will drop significantly. OTOH I can make (not so)
artificial configuration which would have an increased price.
This raises the issue how to migrate Tivoli Management Points from
Value-Based Pricing to Processors and Clients in Enhanced VBP. Also
another question to ask is - does a customer need to buy additional
licenses to keep its license compliance. This is another story and I have
to dig more.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant