ADSM-L

Slow Speed with the SAN-Client

2002-04-16 04:59:53
Subject: Slow Speed with the SAN-Client
From: Rainer Tews <rainer.tews AT SCALEON DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:43:42 +0200
Hallo folks,

we've have a problem with the storageagent for SAN-Environment. We have very bad
backup- and restore-times.

We use on NT4 Client
TSM 4.2.1.20
Storageagent V 4.2.1.12

on the TSM-Server (W2K)
TSM 4.2.1.12

The NT-4 Client has the job to backup mirrors from a EMC-storage-system. It
mounts the drives with a different nodename und saves them directly in a
tape-pool via the storageagent. The performance isn´'t acceptable: We can
restore 7.66 GB in 5:20 while using the san-client. Mostly little files - about
200.000 files and folders.

If we restore the files over a separate network (100 fd/Ethernet) the
restore-time is "only" 2:47. The NT-4 Client has two HBAs, with one HBA it sees
the EMC with the other the IBM LTO Tape Library 3584.