ADSM-L

How do I know what tapes my data is on? - Part II

2002-04-15 05:39:46
Subject: How do I know what tapes my data is on? - Part II
From: Roy Lake <RLake AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:39:46 +0100
Sorry Guys,

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Here is the situation:-

We have a customer who now requires that EVERY month, an archive is
taken to a management class that may be 7 or 10 years.

Obviously over a period of time, this data will be migrated from disk
to tape, and then the ONSITE copies will just sit in the library taking
up valuable slots.

I don't want this to happen!. Over a prolonged period, we will run out
of slots!. So, the solution that I came up with, is to save directly to
tape, and then send those tapes offsite, thus "freeing" up the slots.
Now obviously, this is NOT an ideal solution, I realise that!. But what
other options do I have?.

Kind Regards,

Roy Lake
RS/6000 & TSM Systems Administration Team
Tibbett & Britten European I.T.
Judd House
Ripple Road
Barking
Essex IG11 0TU
0208 526 8853
rlake AT tandb.co DOT uk

This e-mail message has been scanned using Sophos Sweep http://www.sophos.com

-------  IMPORTANT INFORMATION ---------
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. It may contain
information which is privileged & confidential within the meaning
of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this message, or any of its contents,
by any person other than the intended recipient may constitute
a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited.

If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender
and dispose of this email as soon as possible. If in doubt please
contact European IT on 0870 607 6777 (+44 20 85 26 88 88).
This message has been sent via the Public Internet.