ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups through copypool

2002-04-14 20:31:07
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups through copypool
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:38:03 +0300
Kyle,

I like your idea and think if we refine it further it can become a fairly
good recipe (IMHO).
Step 1a. Have separate storage hierarchy for nodes requesting "PIT
backups" over same device classes. Let's call it DISK-PIT, FILE-PIT and
TAPE-PIT.
Steps 2&3 - unchanged.
Set Reusedelay=<longest retension period for PIT backups>. How much to
raise the reclamation threshold I be sure but think disabled (sorry I have
no long term experience as some other people on this list). If retension
periods are very disimilar we can have COPY1-PIT and COPY7-PIT for 1 and 7
years respectively.
Countinue as you described backing up *-PIT pools to COPY-PIT and making
DB snapshots.
On restores DBS can be restored to another server or second instance. You
do not need to restore *any* primary pool. Just mark all volumes
unavailable and restore would take place right from copy pool volumes.
The main disadvantage is huge waste of tapes but if the management demands
this to be accomplished the old traditional way ... The implementation
with any Full/Incremental product would produce same ammount of tape
usage/waste.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant