ADSM-L

Version Compatibility and long-term archiving (was Re: No drives available - UPDATE)

2002-04-13 18:05:24
Subject: Version Compatibility and long-term archiving (was Re: No drives available - UPDATE)
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 01:01:55 +0300
---> I think TIVOLI doesn't understand IBM's religious belief in upward
compatibility and so TSM 4 doesn't have a bridge from ADSM/TSM 3.
compatibility and so TSM 4 doesn't have a bridge from ADSM/TSM 3.

More than that now we have v5.1 which would support compatibility only
with v4.2.x. And v4.1 would be out of support very soon.
There were already many threads on this list about ADSM v3.1 clients. Just
to name few OSes not having current (or even supported) client - AIX 4.2,
HP-UX 10.20, OS/2, Solaris 2.6. And we are talking about long-term
archiving in *SM.
Do you prefer to be forced to do client upgrades every year just to be
supported. And later when have to retrieve few years old archive get error
"ANS1357S Session rejected: Downlevel client code version" ? And on
IBM/Tivoli broshures there are statements that TSM clients are available
for more than 30 platforms. How many of them are supported?
We've seen long discussions here about how to keep data alive. And we can
achieve it. But as Paul pointed what can we do with this data if there is
no software to understand this data. If right now you need to restore a
program from Win95 node and it does not work on WinME?
ADSM came from mainframe world and have had meeting stringent
requirements.

Sorry for being rude but on my *PERSONAL* opinion Tivoli is doing software
much more microsoft way than IBM way.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Please respond to Joe Faracchio <joef AT socrates.Berkeley DOT EDU>