ADSM-L

Re: TSM V5.1 - new return codes

2002-04-12 23:29:11
Subject: Re: TSM V5.1 - new return codes
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:29:26 -0400
Hi Tim,

Yes, your testing is correct. Since the "file excluded" message (ANS1115W)
is issued for selective and archive, you will get the rc 4; and since
ANS1115W is not issued for incremental backup, the rc will be 0 (barring
any other problems).

Historically TSM has always worked this way, with the "file excluded"
message being issued for selective and archive commands, but not
incremental backup. The rationale is a bit subjective, but a lot of
thought did go into it.

The most common substantive client operation is almost certainly
incremental backup. Since it is implicitly understood (or should be
understood) that incremental backup will not back up excluded files, we
don't bother to issue the warning message.

The assumption we make behind selective backup is that you want to back
up *all* files in the file specification (i.e. you have specifically
targeted, or "selected" those files for backup). Thus any failure to back
up any of the files in the file spec is flagged with the warning message.
Of course, it is only assumption, and you know what happens when you
assume.... but be that as it may, we have to assume *something*, one way
or the other, so to be safe, we issue the warning message letting you know
that certain files were not backed up. The argument for archive is
similar, and maybe even more important, since archives are usually for
longer retention periods: we make the assumption that if you are targeting
files for long-term retention, you want them. All of them. Admittedly,
this falls a bit flat if you have explicitly excluded the files with
exclude.archive, clearly stating intent. On the other hand, if we issued
no warning message, then less experienced customers who really want the
files archived, but forgot about the excluded files, might not be happy,
either. So I think the messages themselves are appropriate, albeit
unnecessary for experienced customers.

With that said, you make a fair point, and I think it merits some thought.
Essentially, I think the issue comes down to whether we want to further
break down "skipped" files into two categories:

files that are skipped unintentionally
files that are skipped by intent (i.e. via exclude)

with two different return codes.

Hopefully you understand that on this forum, I can not commit to making
any such a change. Also, keep in mind that we deliberately set out to keep
the number of return codes small so that they could be easily understood
and managed; though in theory, there is no reason that we couldn't have
additional codes, especially when it makes sense (as is possible here). So
please consider this issue noted.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
04/12/2002 14:28