ADSM-L

Re: TSM V5.1 - new return codes

2002-04-12 17:27:55
Subject: Re: TSM V5.1 - new return codes
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:28:09 -0500
I think the addition of return codes is great but have a question on the
rc=4 with excluded files:

The doc specifies:
rc=4: The operation completed successfully, but some files were not
processed.
There were no other errors or warnings. This return code is very common.
Files are not processed for various reasons. The most common reasons are:
The file is in an exclude list..
The file was in use by another application and could not be accessed by
the
client
The file changed during the operation to an extent prohibited by the copy
serialization attribute.

I have a directory with one subdirectory exluded via exclude and
exlude.archive.

For an incremental of the directory I get rc=0, for an archive or a
selective backup I get rc=4.

I would rather see a different return code for an excluded file (I'm
excluding it so I expect it to not get backed up!).  I think a file that is
missed because it is open or changed is much more serious than a file that
is excluded.

Why are the return codes inconsistent between incrementals and selective or
archives?

Or was my testing incorrect?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth