ADSM-L

AW: Compression

2002-04-11 03:21:53
Subject: AW: Compression
From: Stefan Holzwarth <stefan.holzwarth AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:22:06 +0200
We use compression nearly on every node.
With TSM 4.? there seems to be a significant speedgain in the compression
code.
We doing backup of a 2 TByte NAS System over GBE to a 2 Processor Compaq NT
Server (as TSM Client 4.2.1.20 - with 5 TSM nodes defined on )to MVS TSM
Server (4.1.4.2).
We reach during normal incremental 6-8 MB/sec and sometimes
during processing larger files on the filer up to 12-16 MB/sec (with
compression).
The main advantage is, that the primary diskpools on MVS are used more
efficent, since the data are compressed at about 23%. Also there is 23% less
I/O on the server.

Regards Stefan Holzwarth