ADSM-L

Re: downlevel client code - has anybody found a workaround?

2002-04-08 13:05:47
Subject: Re: downlevel client code - has anybody found a workaround?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:04:16 -0400
Gretchen, you should contact IBM support. In at least some cases, they can
probably help reset your client levels.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Gretchen L. Thiele" <GRETCHEN%PUCC.bitnet AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
04/08/2002 06:46

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

Server: v4.2.1.11 (AIX 4.3.3)
Client: v4.2.1.0 (Win2K), and later patch levels as well

I am getting hit hard by the problem with the Windows client
(or is it a server problem?) resetting the platform and the
version so that an earlier operating system can't access the
account.

Case 1: Client backs up Win2K box with current TSM client,
decides to revert back to Win98 with the same client, but
can't access the data because the operating system is not
as current (perceived by the server as being downlevel).

Case 2: Client backs up a Mac with a current TSM client,
administrator is asked to restore files, but uses a Win2K
box to 'impersonate' the Mac (which they thought was a
Windows box) to get the files. Mac can no longer access
the account, because it is now downlevel.

Case 3: Dual boot Win2K/Linux box, client backs up Linux
side first, then does Win2K, goes back to Linux and gets
the downlevel message.

Note that cases 2 and 3 are *not* trying to do a cross
platform restore. In case 2, it was a mistake by the
admin, and in case 3, it is our policy to use one account
for one computer - less 'stuff' to remember. This is
going to be a huge problem for us. Looking through the
archives, I haven't seen anybody's resolution to this.
Other than exporting, deleting and importing the node
in case 2 (who needs to do an emergency restore), I can't
see a way out of this.

Is this 'working as designed'? It never used to be this
awkward. Any ideas?

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University