ADSM-L

Re: don?t anyone know anything about Encryption in TSM.

2002-04-05 10:54:10
Subject: Re: don?t anyone know anything about Encryption in TSM.
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:53:51 -0500
>The 'always' above raises a potentially critical point that I don't think
>has been mentioned in this thread. I attended a Tivoli presentation on new
>features in TSM 4.1 which stated that only the Windows client would have
>encryption support. As far as I know, the Windows client is still the only
>one with encryption support.

I think the encryption in TSM is more for users like me (the TSM Client,
not the TSM Admin).  I work remote from a company site, so all of my data
goes over a VPN network.  By encrypting the data going across the line, I'm
protected from any "hacker kiddies" out there who are trying to steal my
e-mail, or a report I've prepared.  Under this assumption (and that's all
that it is - I'm an Admin, not a developer), only having encryption on the
Win32 client makes sense.  I can also see the linux client also getting
encryption as linux becomes more popular for workstations.  When it comes
to the Big Data, the security has to be somewhere else besides the backup
software.  For more on that, see my earlier response on this thread about
security of the data.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.