ADSM-L

Re: switches for DSMADMC command (OS/390)

2002-04-05 03:12:59
Subject: Re: switches for DSMADMC command (OS/390)
From: William White <White AT UNICC DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:08:37 +0200
Andy,

I recently wanted to execute DSMADMC (true name ANSADM) in batch.  Rather
than use TSO batch I invoked the program via JCL.  Like this:

//CCCOWWTX JOB (CC-CO),'W. WHITE',MSGLEVEL=1,NOTIFY=CCCOWW,
//   CLASS=P,MSGCLASS=X,REGION=4M
/*JOBPARM LINES=100
//DSMADMC  EXEC  PGM=ANSADM,REGION=4M,DYNAMNBR=90,
// PARM='/ -ID=OG -PA=GO -DISPL=TAB -OUT=ACTLOG Q ACTLOG'
//STEPLIB  DD    DSN=SYST.TIVOLI.V41.LINKLIB,DISP=SHR
//DSCOPT   DD    DSN=SYST.TIVOLI.V41.TSOADMIN.OPTIONS,DISP=SHR
//DSCLANG  DD    DSN=SYST.TIVOLI.V41.SANSMSG(ANSMENU),DISP=SHR
//

I found several things via experiment:

1) The PARM cannot be continued to another line although the JCL rules
would allow it.  ANSADM does not seem to be able to handle a comma, which
is required for the continuation.

2)  I got most of my information on the command-line switches from the HELP
(section 10) provided with the TSO administrative client which was
distributed with TSM V4.1.  When the admin client starts, though, it
reports that it is V3.

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.7
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1999, All Rights Reserved.

3) Although the HELP says not to use DISPLAYMODE with OUTFILE, I
experimented with it and found that it works.

4) For security, I defined an administrator with no authority except for
functions available to "any administrator," for reporting.

5) I found that ANSADM would read commands from a SYSIN DD file, but there
was some sort of syntax problem.  I could see the command in the error
messages and if I gave it in abbreviated form, TSM would expand it.  So if
I said "Q AUDITO," TSM would have "QUERY AUDITOCCUPANCY" in the error
message.  It failed because it could not detect the end of the command and
found extraneous data that caused a syntax error.  I would really like to
know if there is some way to tell the command processor to stop looking for
parameters.  I tried "/*... */," but that didn't work.  I also tried
reading from  a file with no line numbers, but to no avail.

6) So if you wanted to give several longer commands, you could use a
script.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experimented with ANSADM in the
OS/390 environment.

Regards,
www.

William White