ADSM-L

Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!

2002-04-04 12:08:27
Subject: Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:55:27 -0600
There is a good reason it keeps coming up: legitimate business
requirements.

The suits (auditors, IRS, corp counsel, HIPAA, etc) demand to be able to
be able to reproduce any datum at given intervals for given durations.
Most often, that translates to restoring files that may change every day
to "month end" state for somewhere between 1 and 7 years.  Sometime they
can identify the kinds of data they want, but it is expensive to
accurately identify the list of all files/directories required, so usually
you get a vague wave to "save everything".  And of course, it's their
data, not yours, they have a right to keep as much as they want.  Telling
them that TSM doesn't support their requirement just invites other
software vendors in the door since *they* handle this particular
requirement with ease (on paper).

The number of days you can reasonably keep in an incremental backup
usually doesn't extend to forever.  Archives sometimes don't cut it,
either in their traditional form or the instant form.  You can't stand to
move that much data or use that many tapes - that's why you went
incremental forever in the first place.  I really just to do some
operation that marks the current active version with a longer guaranteed
retention, without changing the retention of anything else.

I don't want to restart the perennial discussion of truly long term
archival storage.  It's reasonable to expect a backup system to maintain
internal compatibility for 7 years, and there are techniques for migrating
the data to newer media.

Just my 5 cents worth (inflation).
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

"Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
04/04/2002 10:04 AM
Please respond to lmorris