ADSM-L

Monthly Backups, ...again!

2002-04-04 08:53:27
Subject: Monthly Backups, ...again!
From: Marc Levitan <marc.levitan AT PFPC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:51:15 -0500
A question was brought up while discussing retention policies.

Currently we have the following retentions:

Policy    Policy    Mgmt      Copy      Versions Versions   Retain  Retain
Domain    Set Name  Class     Group         Data     Data    Extra    Only
Name                Name      Name        Exists  Deleted Versions Version
--------- --------- --------- --------- -------- -------- -------- -------
COLD      ACTIVE    COLD      STANDARD         2        1        5      30
COLD      ACTIVE    COLD      STANDARD         2        1        5      30

NOVELL    ACTIVE    DIRMC     STANDARD        30        1      120     365
NOVELL    ACTIVE    STANDARD  STANDARD        30        1      120     365

RECON     ACTIVE    DIRMC     STANDARD        36        3       75     385
RECON     ACTIVE    MC_RECON  STANDARD        26        1       60     365

STANDARD  ACTIVE    DIRMC     STANDARD        26        1       60     365
STANDARD  ACTIVE    STANDARD  STANDARD        26        1       60     365

UNIX      ACTIVE    MC_UNIX   STANDARD        30        1       60      30

I believe that this provides for daily backups for over a month.

There was a request to have the following:
1)   Daily backups for a week.
2)   Weekly backups for a month.
3)   Monthly backups for a year.

I believe we are providing 1 & 2.  We are providing daily backups for a
month.

How can I provide monthly backups for a year?
I know that I could take monthly archives, but this would exceed our backup
windows and would increase our resources ( db, tapes, etc.)
Also, I know we could lengthen our retention policies.
Also we could create backup sets. (tons of tapes!)

How are other people handling this?

Thanks,

Marc Levitan
Storage Manager