ADSM-L

Re: SAP R3 and (MAX_)SESSIONS

2002-03-29 12:44:03
Subject: Re: SAP R3 and (MAX_)SESSIONS
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:33:10 -0500
Some of this will depend upon the size of your SAP filesystems and on your
MULTIPLEXING value. TSM sees the sum of <multiplexing> <filesystem sizes> as
the actual 'file size' for space calculation. In my case, 1.6 GB files (all
of them the same size) and 6-way multiplexing, for a 9.6 GB data file to
TSM.

When you reach your migration percentage high-point for the storage pool,
TSM will kick off the number of migration processes you've specified. When
the free space in the pool drops below the data file size the session will
switch to your next pool -- the tape pool. If you still have drives
available, you'll get a mount and continue. If all drives are in use, the
session will wait for a drive to free up *even if the migration process
frees up disk space* for the TSM file it is working on.

You may want to try both with and without the disk pool. I'm not sure an 80
GB disk pool is worth the effort for a 600 GB database. We run 4 sessions
direct to LTO tape drives and back up around 600 GB in about 3 hours (two
sessions each on two gigabit ethernet networks).

It all boils down to an exercise in finding and fixing bottlenecks until you
reach a performance level you can live with or hit a bottleneck management
doesn't want to spend the money to fix. These include disk read rate from
the SAP DB (disk drives, disk drive interface, cpu); network from DB server
to TSM server (hubs, switches, interface speed, protocol, cpu, interface
cards); TSM server disk performance (read AND write); TSM tape interface;
tape drives. And I left a few out -- these are just the areas I've played
with in the last five years.

Hope this helps a bit --

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

http://pat0006/shell.htm
Room 1A/G03
Dokter van Zeelandstraat 1, 2285 BD Leidschendam NL
Tel : +31 (0)70 - 3034644, Fax 4011, Mobile +31 (0)6-55127646
Email Internet: ruud.vanruler AT shell DOT com
                        rvanruler AT hotmail DOT com