ADSM-L

Tape retention after restores

2002-03-27 16:37:41
Subject: Tape retention after restores
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:37:37 -0500
We have been seeing a recurrent problem with GUI restores under Windows NT.
A system administrator will start a restore and walk away from his disk.
When the restore finishes, the session will stay open and the last tape
used in the restore will remain mounted. We have sometimes had a tape drive
tied up for hours before getting the person who started the restore to
respond to a telephone call or a page. We have occasionally seen a similar
problem with command line restores under HP-UX. A batch mode dsmc restore
will relinquish the tape drive when the restore ends, but a restore run
from a loop mode dsmc session will not. Our server runs under OS/390 and
is currently at level 4.2.1.9. The last Windows NT client to monopolize a
tape drive was at level 4.1.2.12. The last HP-UX client to do so was at
level 4.1.2.0. Is there any way to get TSM to take a more rational
approach to tape drive retention in this situation?