ADSM-L

Reclamation for copy pools

2002-03-22 13:39:49
Subject: Reclamation for copy pools
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:37:06 -0500
I'm very confused about running reclamation on copy pools, so here is my
set up on TSM:

1.  Clients back up to either the disk pool or the sequential access tape
pool(onsite)
2.  Backup copy disk pool to offsite tape pool
3.  Backup onsite tape pool to offsite tape pool
4.  Migration
5.  Expiration
6.  Backup devconf, volh, and db

Reclamation is set for 60 on both the onsite tape pool and the copy
pools(offsite).  Every night I run a job that marks the tapes in the
offsite copy pool  that are full or filling as having offsite access which
then removes the tape from the silo and I send it to our offsite vault.
All while this is happening reclamation for the offsite copy pools runs
whenever the volume has 60% reclaimable space on it and the system is
trying to run reclamation on tapes that are at the offsite vault and then
in turn the reclamation for that volume fails because it cannot be mounted
in the silo.  I didn't think it was possible to run reclamations for the
tapes that are in the vault.  How do I prevent reclamation from trying to
reclaim these volumes when they are also technically recognized in the copy
pool?

My question is:  Should the reclamation only be run before my job that
marks the tapes that were copied to for the day as offsite?  Which in my
case would be every day because we send tapes to our offsite vault daily.

I also have many volumes in the offsite copy pool that are in the status of
pending and they are in the offsite vault.  Does TSM interact with TMS to
bring those volumes back to the copy pool in the silo or do I have to run a
job to do this?

Thanks so much for being so helpful!  You can't imagine how informative it
is just to read everyone's suggestions and comments since I am so new to
TSM.

Joni Moyer
Associate Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com